Making a complaint about a service

To make a complaint about a mental health, alcohol or other drug service, the first step is to raise your concerns directly with that service.

All mental health, alcohol and other drug services are required to have a process in place to resolve complaints. Check their website or call the service and ask for more information. Often raising your concerns directly with the service is the most effective way of resolving complaints.

If you are unhappy with the response from the service or feel uncomfortable approaching the service directly you can contact the following services for assistance:

Health and Disability Services Complaints Office (HaDSCO)

08 6551 7600 or Free Call 1800 813 583

HaDSCO is an independent state government agency providing a free impartial resolution service for complaints relating to health, mental health or disability services in Western Australia and the Indian Ocean Territories.

Health Consumers Council of Western Australia (HCC)

08 9221 3422 or Free Call 1800 620 780

HCC’s Advocacy Service provides flexible, individualised support, including providing information about your health rights, helping you to get linked with a service, attending appointments with you and assisting you to make a complaint.

Mental Health Advocacy Service (MHAS) 

08 6234 6300 or Free call 1800 999 057

The MHAS is established under the Mental Health Act 2014 to provide advocacy support to people specified in the Act, including involuntary patients and residents of private psychiatric hostels. The MHAS is a free service that is independent from hospitals and mental health services. Mental health advocates can help you understand your legal rights, express your wishes, and uphold your rights.

Care Opinion

1300 662 996 

Care Opinion is an independent, not-for-profit site where you can share your positive and negative experiences with WA health services online. The site allows for honest and meaningful conversations between patients and health services, and the feedback is passed onto the right people to help improve health services.

Mental Health Law Centre (MHLC)

08 9328 8012 or Free call 1800 620 285 (MHLC)

The MHLC is a statewide specialist community legal centre specialising in mental health law. The MHLC can provide free legal advice and representation to people who are involuntary patients in the Western Australian Mental Health system. Subject to resources MHLC can also provide legal help, advice and representation in other areas of law including criminal, guardianship and administration, criminal injuries compensation, equal opportunity, discrimination and other civil matters.

Peer Based Harm Reduction WA (formerly WASUA)

08 9321 2877

Peer Based Harm Reduction WA is the only peer-based harm reduction organisation in the state of Western Australia.  Peer Based Harm Reduction WA is a vital part of the national network of drug user organisations and a member of the Australian Injecting and Illicit Drug Users League (AIVL), the national peak body organisation representing drug user organisations in Australia. Peer Based Harm Reduction WA  provides peer-based support, information and education, advocacy and harm reduction services.

Carers WA

1300 227 377

Carers WA is a non-profit, community based organisation and registered charity dedicated to improving the lives of the estimated 320,000 family carers living in Western Australia. Carers have a right to complain if they are concerned about the delivery of a service to their family or the person they support. Carers WA can provide information, advice and support to help a person advocate on their own behalf or on behalf of the person they care for.

Ombudsman Western Australia

08 9220 7555 or 1800 117 000 (toll free for country callers)

The Ombudsman serves Parliament and Western Australians by resolving complaints about the decision making of public authorities and improving the standard of public administration. The Ombudsman is an officer of the Parliament, independent of the government of the day and acts impartially of all parties in dispute.

Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)

1300 419 495

The Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) is the organisation responsible for the implementation of the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme across Australia. The role of the Agency Management Committee is to oversee the affairs of AHPRA, to decide its policies, and to ensure AHPRA functions properly, effectively and efficiently working with the National Health Practitioner Boards.

Alcohol and Other Drug Consumer & Community Coalition (AODCCC)

Phone 08 6311 8402

The Alcohol and Other Drug Consumer & Community Coalition (AODCCC) is the peak body for alcohol and other drug consumer advocacy in Western Australia. The AODCCCs mission is to promote the interests, education and welfare of those affected by alcohol and other drug use.

The AODCCC was incorporated in June 2018 in response to the need and support for an alcohol and other drug specific consumer advocacy body.

Making a complaint about the Mental Health Commission

To make a complaint about the work of the Mental Health Commission, including its policy work, commissioning, delivery of services at Next Step Drug and Alcohol Services or the Alcohol and Drug Support Service, please fill in the form at this page.

Fields marked with * are mandatory

Provide us with feedback

Please note we cannot provide advice or counselling through this form. Please call a helpline for advice.

This website uses cookies and third-party services.