Alcohol and Other Drug Diversion Program

The Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) Diversion Program is a voluntary court diversion treatment intervention program available for eligible adults who have alcohol and/or other drug use problems and who are attending court.

The AOD Diversion Program is ideally for early entrants to the court system, however can service people who have been in court before. It is suitable for people who plead guilty to an offence and who would normally would be likely to receive a fine, community-based order, or intensive supervision order.

Anybody who has reason to address the court about the offender’s case can request the offender be referred to the AOD Diversion Program for assessment, however those with an extensive criminal record for serious offences, sexual offences, drug trafficking offences or high level violence are not eligible.

Following assessment by a court based AOD Diversion Officer, referral to the program is at the magistrate's discretion. If referred to the program, the offender’s case will be remanded for approximately eight weeks so they can access treatment and support in the community to address their AOD use and develop strategies for positive change.

The AOD Diversion Officer will provide the assessment and coordinates the referral to treatment.  If the magistrate imposes conditional on the bail this means a Community Corrections Officer may also be involved.

Following treatment during the remand period, the person returns to court and the AOD Diversion Officer provides a summary of progress in treatment for the court to review.  If treatment has been completed sentencing will occur. If further treatment is recommended the offender’s case can be remanded for a further period prior to returning for sentencing.

The AOD Diversion Officer can also link family members and friends or support people of the person appearing in court to free services so they can receive professional advice and useful information about AOD use and strategies to support themselves and manage stress.

Please contact the Alcohol and Drug Support Line or speak to the AOD Diversion Officer at your local magistrate's court for more information.

More information

Video - Alcohol and Other Drug Diversion Program - YouTube

This website uses cookies and third-party services.