Young People's Mental Health and Alcohol and Other Drug Use: Priorities for Action 2020-2025
On 16 December 2020, the then Minister for Mental Health, Hon Roger Cook MLA released the Young People’s Mental Health and Alcohol and Other Drug Use: Priorities for Action 2020-2025 (YPPA).
The YPPA guides the State Government, the Mental Health Commission and other agencies, the mental health and AOD sector, and other stakeholders across the community, in supporting and responding to the mental health and AOD needs of young people aged 12 to 24 years. Children aged 0-11 are equally important and a framework to set out priority action for them will be developed in the near future.
The YPPA also builds on previous plans, strategies and frameworks developed by Government and non-government organisations. A list of these resources can be found here.
The Mental Health Commission has commenced work on the Implementation Plan to guide current and future YPPA initiatives. The key objective of the Implementation Plan is to implement improvements to mental health, alcohol and other drug services for young people, by drawing on the experience and expertise of all our partners.
Due for completion in 2021, the YPPA Implementation Plan will:
- be progressed as an across-government commitment, where agencies and other key stakeholders including young people, their families and carers will be engaged through out the process ;
- be informed by the feedback received during the YPPA development;
- focus on:
- addressing social determinants; and
- taking a holistic, culturally secure and person-centred approach;
- identify how we can work better across the sector, to promote better coordination, integration and efficiencies, and build upon on the intersectional relationship between sectors; and
- highlight current priorities and identify areas to strengthen and grow.
More information on the development of the YPPA can be read here.
For any other enquiries about the YPPA project, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- YPPA - Supporting Paper
- Consultation Guide - Young People Priority Framework - Oct 2020
- YACWA Consultation Summary Report - Youth Engagement
- YACWA Consultation Summary Report - Carer Engagement
- Nous Group Consultation Summary Report - Sector Stakeholders
For information about young people and mental health, including tips and services information, go to the Youth page under Your health and wellbeing.