Health professional resources
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in the community services sector
Alcohol and other drugs
The Commission produces a range of resources to support the workforce to reduce alcohol and other drug related harms including about:
- Alcohol prevention, support and harm reduction
- Drug prevention, support and harm reduction
- Take Home Naloxone (to avoid opioid overdose)
- Weekly online education webinars for clinicians about alcohol and other drug assessments and treatment, hosted by specialist clinicians from the Commission's Next Step Drug and Alcohol Services
Working with Aboriginal people:
- Strong Spirit Strong Mind Aboriginal Drug and Alcohol Framework for Western Australia 2011 -2015
- Strong Spirit Strong Mind Metro Project Consultation Summary Report
The following culturally secure resources by Maggie Brady can also be obtained in print free of charge by contacting National Mailing & Marketing (1300 131 616):
- The Grog Book. Strengthening Indigenous Community Action on Alcohol
- Giving Away the Grog. Aboriginal accounts of drinking and not drinking
- Talking with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients about alcohol (a flip chart for health workers).
Clinical guidelines and policies
- A Brief Guide to the Management of Alcohol and Other Drug Withdrawal
- Assessment and Treatment of Alcohol Dependence Clinical Guidelines
- Clinical policies and procedures for the use of methadone and buprenorphine
- Clinical Supervision Handbook
- A Core Capability Framework For working with people with intellectual disability and co‑occurring mental health issues (WACOSS)
- Reducing the impact of parental drug use on pregnancy, newborns and infants
- Crisis Referral Tool for AOD Services
Best practice indicators
- Core competencies for AOD prevention workers
- Counselling guidelines: Alcohol and other drug issues (4th ed).
- Introduction to Alcohol and Other Drug Prevention Guidelines
- National Framework for Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug Treatment 2019-2029 (Federal Department of Health)
- National Quality Framework for Drug and Alcohol Treatment Services (Federal Department of Health)
The Drug and Alcohol Counsellors Training Program
The Drug and Alcohol Counsellors Training Program DVD Resources consists of audio-visual scenarios both with and without teaching text. Expanded text outline key teaching points are also included within this package.
This resource has been designed to support trainers who are delivering training to frontline workers, with the purpose of supporting the workers knowledge, development, competence and confidence of core counselling skills required for effective AOD counselling.
Prior to delivering any training using this package, trainers should familiarise themselves with the audio-visual resource and all information provided in the teaching points. It is highly recommended that presenters are acquainted with relevant core counselling skill literature.
Click here to access a version of these videos without on-screen text.
MHPOD is an evidence-based online learning resource for people working in mental health. Currently, there are over 100 hours of material across 68 topics, written and produced in Australia. The topics range from recovery to legislation and dual disability. The content of MHPOD is linked to the National Practice Standards for the Mental Health Workforce.
The Commission produces a range of resources, checklists, handbooks and information sheets about the Mental Health Act and its application. Access Mental Health Act resources
For clinical mental health resources please visit the Chief Psychiatrist's website or the Department of Health's Mental Health Policy Framework.
- CBT and perinatal depression - Black Dog Institute
- Centre of Perinatal Excellence (COPE) - National Perinatal Mental Health Guidelines, online training modules, resources, fact sheets and screening tools
- Management of serious mental health disorders in the antenatal period (Australian Department of Health)
- Pregnancy care for women with severe mental illness (Australian Department of Health)
- Psychological Toolkit - Clinical Resources - Black Dog Institute - includes Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale, Antenatal Risk Questionnaire and Postnatal Risk Questionnaire
- Screening for depression and anxiety (Australian Department of Health)