The Plan 2015 - 2025
The Western Australian Mental Health, Alcohol and Other Drug Services Plan 2015-2025: Better Choices. Better Lives. (the Plan) outlines a comprehensive package of reforms to reshape the delivery of services to Western Australians with mental health, alcohol and other drug problems.
A first of its kind for the State, the Plan sets a bold agenda to create a more connected, high quality and person-centred system focused on the provision of holistic care and support.
It provides a targeted and phased approach to investment over the next 10 years to deliver the optimal mix and level of services to meet the needs of the current and future population. This includes an increase in hospital beds and specialist care, a shift towards the provision of more services in the community and enhanced programs and strategies that prevent mental illness, reduce drug and alcohol-related harm, and that intervene early to reduce the development of serious illness.
- The Plan* (PDF) (accessibility version) (interactive version)
- The Plan at a glance (accessibility version)
- Plan map
- Plan FAQs
- Consultation video
- Fact sheets by region - Goldfields, Great Southern, Kimberley, Midwest, North Metropolitan, Pilbara, South Metropolitan, South West, Wheatbelt and Statewide.
* The Mental Health Commission has made some minor amendments to the Plan to address a number of typographical errors identified in the document. Please note that only the PDF version has been updated – there will be no updates to the Accessibility versions and Interactive versions. The changes are in effect as of 20 March 2017 and can be found here.
The consultation process to inform the development of Plan has been comprehensive, involving over 2,300 individuals and organisations. Expert Reference Groups have been formed and online surveys, consultation forums, and individual meetings have been undertaken to ensure all key stakeholders have had an opportunity to contribute their experience, thoughts, opinions and ideas.
The draft Plan was released on 3 December 2014 for a final consultation period, and was completed on 30 March 2015. This consultation process included 19 forums (10 in the metropolitan area and 9 in regional areas), an online survey, and over 60 written submissions.
The links and documents below provide you with further information and detail with regard to the consultation undertaken and feedback received.
Consultation Summary Report
Consultation forum reports
- Public Forum, 2 February 2015 - Communication Report
- Prevention and Promotion Consultation Workshop, 2 February 2015 - Communication Report
- Community Treatment Consultation Workshop, 13 February - Communication Report
- Rural Consultation Workshops - Communication Reports for Albany, Broome, Bunbury, Geraldton, Kalgoorlie, Karratha, Kununurra and Northam consultation forums.
- Hospital Based Services Consultation Workshops, 13 February - Communication Report
- Specialised Statewide Services Consultation Workshop, 26 February - Communication Report
- Forensic Statewide Services, 26 February - Communication Report
- Alcohol and Other Drugs Consultation Workshop, 12 March - Communications Report
- Consumers, Carers and Families Consultation Workshop, 20 March - Communications Report
- Community Beds Consultation Workshop, 24 March - Communications Report
- Community Supports Consultation Workshop, 26 March - Communications Report
Online survey raw data
Written submissions received
- Video regarding consultation process