Drug and Alcohol Clinical Advisory Service
The Drug and Alcohol Clinical Advisory Service (DACAS) is a specialist telephone consultancy service that provides clinical advice to health professionals on all issues relating to patient management of alcohol and other drug (AOD) use.
The service is provided by experienced addiction medicine specialists and is available at no charge to all health professionals in Western Australia.
DACAS will operate from 8:00am to 8:00pm Monday to Friday and the number to call is (08) 6553 0520. If a call is received after hours, a message can be left and the call will be returned on the next business day.
Access to the service
The service is available to all health professionals in Western Australia including GPs, public and private hospital emergency physicians and other health professionals.
- Clinical advice on AOD patient management within a general practice or hospital setting
- Management of withdrawal syndromes and intoxication. Appropriate substance detoxification advice
- Management of medical, pain and psychiatric complications associated with AOD use
- Drug interaction information relating to substances of abuse
- Community treatment referral guidance
The DACAS service provides expert advice to assist in the management of AOD clients. However, the responsibility for clinical decisions about a client’s treatment rests with the treating medical team.