Parent and Family Drug Support Line
The Parent and Family Drug Support Line is a confidential, non-judgemental telephone counselling, information and referral service for anyone concerned about a loved one’s alcohol or drug use. Callers have the option to speak to an experienced parent volunteer.
Parents and family members of people that use alcohol and other drugs say it's like riding an emotional roller coaster - it can leave you feeling isolated, powerless, confused and ashamed. If you're struggling to cope with your loved one's drug and alcohol use contact us.
What we do
Contact with the Parent and Family Drug Support Line is one-to-one with a professional counsellor and is confidential.
The counsellor who answers your call can:
- Listen to your concerns
- Provide you with information about alcohol or drug use
- Provide emotional support and professional advice
- Offer to transfer you to a parent volunteer for peer support
- Talk about support options for you and your loved one
- Refer you to local services that can provide you and your family with ongoing support
The Client Charter outlines the rights and responsibilities of people who use the services provided by the Alcohol and Drug Support Service.
Parent Peer Support Volunteers
In addition to professional counsellors, the Parent and Family Drug Support Line has a network of trained parent volunteers who have experienced their own child’s alcohol or drug use.
Parent Peer Support volunteers are available between 8:00am and 10:00pm each day and will listen to your concerns, share coping strategies and explore options to help manage your situation.
They may also facilitate support groups. For more information contact the Parent and Family Drug Support Line.
If you are interested in becoming a parent volunteer, see the Parent Peer Support Volunteers page.
Drug Court Support
The Parent and Family Drug Support Line parent volunteers attend the Perth Drug Court every Monday morning. Parent volunteers are available to support you, answer any questions you have and refer you to local services that can provide support to you and your family.
If you have a child or family member going through Perth's Drug Court system, we encourage you to talk to one of our parent volunteers. For more information contact the Parent and Family Drug Support Line.
You may also find it helpful to visit the Western Australian Government's Drug Court webpage, which provides useful information about Drug Court processes.
- Parent and Family Drug Support Line Flier
- Parent and Family Drug Support Line Flier for Aboriginal Parents and Families
- Parent and Family Information and Support Pack
- Parent and Family Information and Support Pack for Aboriginal Families
- Alcohol and Drug Support Service Resource Order Form
For people who speak little or no English, please see our resources for non-English speakers.
The Parent and Family Drug Support Line can provide call back support to parents and families concerned about the alcohol or drug use of a loved one. See the referral form below for more information. Referrals will only be accepted with the consent of the individual requesting call back support.
- Parent and Family Drug Support Line Call Back Referral Form
- Parent and Family Drug Support Line Call Back Referral Form- Electronic Version
Other help lines
If English is not your first language, you can get free translation support through the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) by phoning 131 450