Hospital mental health, alcohol and other drug services

There is a range of inpatient hospital services provided by the State Government to support, treat and care for people with mental health, alcohol and other drug issues.

There are child, youth and adult mental health units, mother and baby mental health units, eating disorder services, and inpatient mental health services for people in prison.

The Next Step Drug and Alcohol Service (part of the Mental Health Commission) provides a high medical alcohol and other drug withdrawal service in East Perth.

At some emergency departments, there may be Safe Haven Cafes for people in mental health distress, Mental Health Emergency Centres or units for people in distress from alcohol or other drug use. 

To find State-funded inpatient mental health services, search in the My Services online directory. You can search by your own location, or 'Restart' your search and search for services in a major town or city.

There are also private inpatient mental health units provided in WA.

To access inpatient services you will generally need a referral from a community mental health, alcohol and other drug service, or emergency department.

There are also community mental health services provided by public health service providers in every area of the State, which enable you to stay and recover in the community.

Low medical alcohol and other drug withdrawal units are also available, provided by several providers, contact your local Community Alcohol and Other Drug Service for advice

Community residential mental health services or residential services for alcohol and other drugs are available for people who require a bed-based service but do not necessarily need to be in hospital.

If you are looking for a phone service, please visit the helplines page.

Fields marked with * are mandatory

Provide us with feedback

Please note we cannot provide advice or counselling through this form. Please call a helpline for advice.

This website uses cookies and third-party services.