Parent and Family Peer Support Groups
Parent Peer Volunteers facilitate peer support groups and courses that help you to learn new strategies, tools and skills to help cope with your situation. These groups and courses are free and any family member or significant other who is affected by someone else’s alcohol or drug use can attend. The groups are offered in the following locations and online via Zoom.
Fremantle Parent and Family Support Group
Held every Saturday morning 10.30am-12pm at Fremantle Community Alcohol and Drug Service, Level 3, 22 Queen Street, Fremantle, WA.
You can simply turn up to this meeting or call the service on 9430 5966.
Currambine Parent and Family Support Group
Held every Monday evening 7pm-8.30pm at Currambine Community Centre, 64 Delamere Avenue, Currambine, WA.
Simply turn up or call the service on 9442 5050 for more information.
BE SMART 6 Week Course
The BE SMART family and friends’ course is a 6-week family and friends support program for people affected by someone else’s problematic alcohol and/or other drug use. The program aims to help participants develop more effective coping strategies and find a greater sense of fulfilment. It is a closed group which means that the same people who start the course finish the course together.
Each session runs for two hours and participants are expected to attend each week.
The course is not a substitute for professional advice and generally it is helpful if you have received some emotional support prior to attending as the course is very practically based.
It is important to note that the course focuses on you and your life, not the person you support. It invites you to concentrate on changing your own thinking and responses, so you can gain greater control over your own life.
The course is offered online and in person.
- 2 February 2023 - 9 March 2023
- 30 March 2023 - 4 May 2023
- 25 May 2023 - 29 June 2023
- 20 July 2023 - 24 August 2023
- 14 September 2023 - 19 October 2023
- 9 November 2023- 14 December 2023
- Midland - Wednesday 15 February 2023
Location: North East Metro Community Alcohol and Drug Service
How to register: Call North East Metro CADS on (08) 9274 7055
We hope to expand into more areas in the future. Please call us on 9442 5050 for more information on the course and dates.
What people have said
Here’s what people have said about attending our Peer Support Groups and BE SMART course:
- “I leave this course feeling more able to cope with the situation. I also have hope for our future.”
- “The course changed how I look at the situation and has given me information on how to go forward, I’d recommend it to anyone.”
- “It was so good meeting other people who are going through similar issues, now I know I’m not alone and I feel so much more confident in dealing with my son.”
- “The facilitators are so warm, welcoming and very knowledgeable. Knowing they had also been though what I’m going through meant they completely understood my concerns and fears.”
- “I was nervous starting a group and didn’t know what to expect but by the end of the course I felt like I knew these people for a lifetime as we are all dealing with the same stuff.”