Opioids. Pain and Problems: Now and the Future
Introducing the Western Australian Addictions Symposium, presented by the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (RANZCP) WA Faculty of Addiction Psychiatry.
Speakers at this event include:
- Professor Suzanne Nielsen (BPharmSc[Hons] PhD MPS), Deputy Director of the Monash Addiction Research Centre in Melbourne, and an NHMRC Career Development Fellow
- Professor Adrian Dunlop MBBS GdipEpiBiostat (Melb) PhD (UNSW) FAChAM CF, Director and Senior Staff Specialist for Hunter New England Local Health District Drug and Alcohol Clinical Services and Conjoint Professor, School of Medicine and Public Health, College of Health and Wellbeing, University of Newcastle
- Dr David Owen, a consultant obstetrician working in the Women and Newborn Drug and Alcohol Service (WANDAS) based at King Edward Memorial Hospital
- Grace Oh, Senior Workforce Development Officer, Mental Health Commission
- Professor Michael Veltman, a specialist pain medicine physician and anaesthetist based in Perth, chair of the Training Unit Accreditation Committee, an accreditation reviewer and member of the Training and Assessment Executive Committee and the ANZCA ICT Governance Committee.
- 8:30am to 9:00am – Registration
- 9:00am to 9:15am – Opening address
- 9:15am to 10:15am – Professor Suzanne Neilson - Opioids in Australia: Current and future policy directions
- 15am to 11:00am – Professor Michael Veltman - Pain management and the problem with opioids
- 11:00am to 11:15am – Morning tea
- 11:15am to 12:00pm – Professor Adrian Dunlop - Long-acting injectable buprenorphine
- 12:00pm to 12:30pm – Meeghan Clay, Chief Pharmacist WA DOH - Real time prescription monitoring in Australia
- 12:0030 to 1:00pm – Ms Grace Oh - Opioid overdose and naloxone
- 1:00pm to 1:30pm – Lunch
- 1:30pm to 2:00pm – Ms Adele Summers - Psychological management of pain
- 2:00pm to 2:45pm – Dr David Owen - Perinatal opioid use
- 2:45pm to 3:45pm – Panel case discussions
- 3:45pm to 4:00pm – Closing remarks.
Cost: $125.00 for Fellows/Affiliates/Non-members | $95.00 for RANZCP Associates
Date: Saturday 29 October 2022
Location: The University Club of Western Australia, Entrance 1, Hackett Drive, Crawley, WA 6009
Contact: For more information please contact the RANZCP WA Branch Coordinator on firstname.lastname@example.org.
The RANZCP is responsible for training, educating and representing psychiatrists in Australia and New Zealand.